But I never really get all that mushy about Max (or at least I try not to). Because Max hates it when I get all mushy and profess my love for him all the time (especially on social media). He even gave me a specific birthday wish that I don't post anything about him that whole day and that I can't say anything about how great he is that day. That weirdo. But lucky for me he never reads my blog so I can write about it all I want without him even knowing! :D
Story time: Part of working at a hospital means you have terrible hours. (Terrible if, like me, you're not a morning person nor a night person and you like just being awake at normal hours of the day). My shifts start at 6:30am which means leaving our house by 6 to ensure enough time for parking and walking and such. Luckily I only have to work a few shifts a month but once a month I do have to work Sundays (which totally stinks). Usually Max sleeps in on the days I have to go to work and he doesn't have to go to school, but this past Sunday he actually work up with me. I thought he was just going to the bathroom or something but I found out he actually went out to the car and scrapped all the ice off the windows for me! How sweet is that? It's the little things that make me love him a lot and make me so grateful for marriage.
Like whenever I am having a bad day Max goes to this bakery/cafe in the hospital and buys me two red velvet cupcakes! I always have the intention of only eating one, and I always offer him the other one, but I usually just end up eating both cupcakes. bahaha.
One thing I love about being in school with Max is that I really feel like a team. When I have exams he does most of the cooking and lunch packing, and when he has exams I pick up the slack and cook and pack lunches. I love that because we're both students, we can understand the other's successes and frustrations with school and we just get each other when we talk about nerdy things like bacteria and ACE inhibitors and weird diseases that are gross but kind of cool (diseases that I won't describe here, because really, some diseases are super gross). And I love that we have this time to get to know each other better. I think it's different for every couple, but for us I think it's been such a blessing to have these years to focus on us. Our marriage. Our likes and dislikes. And our quirks. Like the other week I found out that Max's favorite skittles are the purple wild berry skittles. When I realized this I asked him, "How is it that even after 3 years of marriage I had no idea you loved these?!" To which Max replied, "I didn't know I loved them until this year too!?" bahahaha. he cracks me up.
Last weekend we were waiting to be seated at Red Robin (which, by the way, is one of my favorite restaurants--their sweet potato fries are to die for!), and Max turned to me and said, "I wonder how we have such a good marriage?" I hadn't thought about it much until then but it was true that we've been blessed to have a pretty good and easy marriage. (Mostly I think it's because Max is great and never gets mad and is super understanding even when I'm crazy and hormonal and emotional because I'm a girl). But I also think it also has to do with the fact that we always say our morning and evening family prayers, we read scriptures together each night, and we try our best to hold family home evening every week (although the FHE thing is still a work in progress). I'm grateful that Max, as a priesthood holder and the patriarch of our family, has taken the lead to set up these important family practices, even though our family is just me and him right now. I feel pretty lucky to have him (I still feel like I got the better end of the deal in our marriage. I still don't know why he picked me haha). And I am grateful to have the gospel in our life to make our marriage eternal. And to have that great foundation to build our family on. Basically the gospel is true. And I don't know where I'd be without it.
On some farm near Cincinati, OH. July 2015.
No comments:
Post a Comment